Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sore!

As each day passes, I'm getting more and more sore. I'm pretty sure it's from the running in the morning. When I was a sophomore in high school, I started the track season (after doing track in 9th grade), and I pulled a muscle really bad in my right thigh. It was so bad that I had to drop out that year. I tried again the next year, but as soon as I started with the sprinting, the same muscle started hurting.

So now I'm having the same problem. It's not as bad as before, thank goodness, because at that time I could barely walk, but as each day passes I can feel it hurting more and more. I've had the pain flare up at times when I'm playing softball and running the bases, but that's usually just for a couple hours and it goes away. This pain is constant and growing.

So, I'm trying to decide if I should keep up with my daily run or just run a few more times before the triathlon. On the one hand, it gets me exercising in the morning, and I need the practice. And I'm afraid that if I skip a couple of days I won't get back into it. On the other hand, if my leg keeps getting worse then I'm afraid I won't be able to do the triathlon at all.

On another note, while I was running this morning, my legs (mostly my calves) were killing me to the point where I wondered how I was going to make this work. How in the heck was I going to be able to get on a bike and go for six miles when my legs felt so bad? So after I ran I grabbed my bike and rode a mile. It wasn't bad at all, and actually, the more I went the better they felt. They were still tired, but the bike riding kind of stretched out the muscles, much like walking does after a run. So, if I can get rid of this thigh pain, I think I'll be okay.

We'll not think about the swimming portion for now.

1 comment:

  1. You might have pulled your hamstring and that HURTS - I tore mine delivering Zoe! If you can ice it and then heat it then repeat with ice again in both the morning and night, it might help out. And take ibuprofen to get the swelling down a bit. Another tip: increase your protein a bit to assist with any muscle repair needs, like yogurt, string cheese and meat wraps, hummus, cottage cheese, etc. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete